The society was founded in 1803 by some twenty-four Scotsmen in Reubin Simon's Tavern on the south western corner of Union and Church Streets, and there before a big roaring log fire, and in dim candle light, they founded what is today the oldest benevolent society in our City.
In assuming the name of the apostle Andrew, the Patron Saint of Scotland, no more appropriate title could have been chosen. In character and make-up, especially of those past generations of Scots, they had much in common with the venerable Andrew, brother of Simon Peter. He was a fisherman, a wanderer and a preacher ever thoughtful of the oppressed. Such was the purpose of the Society; to aid and assist fellow Scots in the area.
Today, the Society follows an expanded mission. The Society supports such local and international charities as City Mission, Salvation Army, Red Cross and the Rachael House in Scotland. The Society also supports the Schenectady Museum, Proctor's Theater, Braemar Highland Dance School, Capital District Scottish Games, widows of deceased members, as well as awarding youth scholarships to further studies of their Scottish Heritage.